Campus Safety Commission
The Campus Safety Commission will advise the University’s Chief Safety Officer on matters related to the development, implementation, and evaluation of informed, inclusive, and responsive safety policies and practices.
Work & Goals
January 8, 2024-Safety Commission Meeting
- Discussed Clery Timely Warning requirements.
- The spring UAPD Community Academy reached capacity in a couple of days.
- Discussed a safety survey and long-term goals.
November 27, 2023 - Safety Commission Meeting
- Discussed recent additions to the Office of Public Safety and future plans.
- Discussed how campus is reacting to the safety changes made over the last six months and how we can enhance campus safety awareness.
November 6, 2023 - Safety Commission Meeting
Interim Police Chief Chris Olson discussed changes made at the University of Arizona Police Department (UAPD).
- UAPD is working closely with the community, created a new executive office, a mental health support officer and more. There is a focus on trauma-informed solutions for victims. UAPD will host a Community Academy in the Spring for faculty and staff and may include students at a later date. Olson discussed the blue envelope program, trauma kits, Clery Timely Warnings, and addressed questions about building trust in the community.
October 16, 2023 - Safety Commission Meeting
Review of safety survey sent to undergraduates living in residential halls in April 2023.
- Discussion included: linking comments with demographic information, pedestrian safety, layering crime rates where students don’t feel safe, address dark areas on campus, conduct overall safety climate survey.
The Campus Safety Commission was established in May 2023 and meets every three weeks. Members are selected by the University president. Questions or suggestions for the commission may be directed to any of the members.
Steven C. PattersonVice President and Chief Safety Officer
Chair, Campus Safety Commission
Jennifer HatcherInterim Associate Vice President, Office of Diversity & Inclusion
Collier HillAlumnus, Community member
Amanda KrausAssistant Vice President, Campus Life
Executive Director, Disability Resources
Associate Professor of Practice, Educational Policy Studies and Practice
Kara RileyAlumna, Community member
Praise ZenengaDepartment Head, Africana Studies
Associate Professor, African American Studies (Tenured)